Tuesday, February 2, 2010

After nearly 17 months....

I am finally done pumping! This is a huge deal to me: to be honest, I didn't think I'd ever last this long! I started pumping when Sasha was a week old or so, because our little girl was having major issues latching on. My first goal was 2 months, then 6 months, and once I've gotten there, I set my long-term goal at 1 year. Then I just kept going, but with the flu season starting, I decided to stick with it for a little longer (I still have a couple of months worth of breast milk in the freezer) So last Tuesday, I pumped for the last time: I've taken a while to wean and did it very slowly, but I've had no engorgement or pain so far!
I have to admit, I am very proud of myself for sticking to it this long. But at the same time, whenever we have another kid (kids?), I want to try harder to actually breastfeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Clunk*
That was the sound of my jaw dropping and hitting the floor. Unbelievable. I have had to pump a few times with my first two kids when I had to leave them more than a couple of hours, and I hated it. So much work. A real hassle.
With my girl, I was lucky enough never to need to pump and we are still going strong. At 15 months she is still mostly nursing.

I salute you for your dedication.

Hopefully it will work out with any future kids. I don't know if you were able to see a good lactation consultant (i.e. not a hospital one), but they can help a great deal.

Yuliya A. said...

Thanks!I am always a little bit jealous of women who are able to breastfeed. I am definitely going to try much much harder next time!